A List of Some of the Literary-esque Things I’m Looking Forward to in the New Year…
1) Trying an audio book. My best friend listens to her books while she makes jewelry, and my parents listen when they drive. I walk every day, so it seems like a great way to “read” a book while in motion.
2) Finally reading Rebecca Stead’s When You Reach Me. It just came out in paperback, and I’ve been waiting a long, long time for it to reach me in this (more affordable) incarnation.
3) Having some guest writers. What’s your favorite YA book? What was the book you loved when you were growing up, the book you read over and over again? What’s the best one you’ve read recently? I’d love to get some more voices here on The Infinite Booklist.
4) The release of Sudden Flash Youth: 65 Short-Short Stories from Persea Books. I confess: I’m excited about this because I have a story in the anthology. So do some writers I think are amazing (and who I’m honored to be included alongside) including: Julia Alvarez, Ron Carlson, Dave Eggers, Naomi Shihab Nye, and Alice Walker.
5) Sunny June afternoons on my front porch, reading a book I can’t put down and don’t have to because those Alaskan summer days are long, long, long.
6) Reading more of my students’ book recommendations. I have an impressive list going in my classroom, and I want to pull more of my new reads from that list.
7) Supporting my local independent bookstore. While shopping online can be convenient, I do love to browse a bookstore. I’m glad to have independent bookstores around, and I want to keep them here.
8) Attending the third of my three MFA residencies at the University of Alaska, Anchorage, where each year I get tons of great book recommendations and lots of writerly inspiration.
9) Cozy winter Saturdays curled up by the stove with a story that sweeps me away to someplace warm.
10) Looking at my book journal in December of 2011 and seeing what literary adventures I enjoyed over the course year.
Thanks to everyone who stopped by in 2010!